Thursday, October 17, 2013

Fahrting in Frankfurt Hinders Language Studies

I will try to make this brief (I don't want to bore you).  I 've noticed that as I'm driving or walking around Frankfurt (and in Germany at large) there is a lot of fahrting going on.  Yes, it is pronounced as you may imagine.  There are Aus Fahrts (out farts) and Ein Fahrts (in farts).  So, on the roads you are either in farting or out farting.  While this may seem crude to you...why? because you are an American!  Germans "fahrt" all the time.  They love fahrting.

This brings me to my next point.  Language.  I hear many people tell me that the German language is very difficult.  This may be absolutely true.  However, if you are an English speaking American there is an added hindrance.  It isn't just all the signs everywhere that say "fahrt" on them.  You would be surprised (I know I am) at just how many truly embarrassing words there are in the German language.  Now, when I say "embarrassing" what I mean is by all American cultural standards - we just don't say those kind of words (at least not out loud and definitely not in public).

I would never sit in my car and say "don't miss the fart."  This is not to belittle the wonderful German language.  They are a truly amazing people and so is their language.  Even if fart in German means something different than it does in English (which, of course, it does)...it still sounds the same.  Therefore, if you are particularly shy, you may not want to study German as your second language.  It will require you to say the word fart sometimes.

If this was the only culprit I think we could manage, but there is a long list of culprits.  And if you think I'm going to tell you what they are....you have something else coming.  I'm turning red just thinking about it.

As you may have guessed, Ausfahrt means "exit" and Einfahrt means "entrance."

2 comments:

  1. I used to giggle every time I would pass a "fahrt" sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It goes to show how easily it would be to have a misunderstanding when you just don't know

    ReplyDelete