Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Gingerbread Houses

Making gingerbread houses at Christmas time has become a tradition at our house.  This year I used the recipe from the "Joy of Cooking" and I discovered that it is really good (happy discovery!). 

I have a tried and true recipe I always use, but I wasn't able to find one very small ingredient...cream of tartar.  It may seem insignificant, but, after some thought, I decided to find a recipe that didn't call for it.

You see, it is all about timing.  I still needed cream of tartar for the Royal Icing.  This icing is the "glue" that holds the house together and also holds all the "decorations" on the house.  However, because I had to make 10 houses I didn't have time to do the cream of tartar search just yet.

Why so many houses?  Part of our tradition is to share the joy.  Emily and Ivan invited some friends to participate.  It is really much more fun to make a house with friends.

I'm going to tell you what it is like to find cream of tartar in Germany.  It really deserves a blog entry all its own, but I'll write it here and make this blog entry terribly long (but hopefully not dull).

What do you call cream of tartar in German?  Ah, this is the first problem to solve.  You can't wander through the baking isle of the grocery store and expect to find something labeled "cream of tartar".  Happily, Jay is excellent at doing research on the internet.  This is what you call cream of tartar in German (actually there are 3 options):

1) weinstein
2) kaliumbitartrat
3) kaliumhydrogentartrat

As it turns out, you cannot even purchase this vital ingredient for Royal Icing at a grocery store (nope).  You must go to the pharmacy.  This is where the adventure really begins (not really, it is pretty straight forward).  

I went to the pharmacy closest to our house.  I showed them the piece of paper with each of the above mentioned names.  The pharmacist speaks "good" English and informs me they do not stock this chemical.  They will need to order it.  My heart sinks because the gingerbread party will be later that day.  However, she gives me a glimmer of hope when she says it will be there by 12:30 that afternoon.  OK, well the party starts at 1:00, there just may be time.

Long story short, everything worked out.  Here are some pictures to share.  I wish you could have joined us :o)


Here is the precious chemical - Cream of Tartar.  It is 100 grams (roughly 4 ounces).  It cost 15.50 euros (about $20.00).  At least I will have a stock of it for nursery playdough now.

Emily wants to design her own house.  Here she is diligently planning.

Here Ivan is helping me to enlarge the template for the houses I will be making for everyone.

This is the process of making gingerbread dough....first, cream the butter and sugar.  That's a lot of sugar and butter!!  My bowl isn't big enough! - yikes!

This is the largest bowl I own.  It barely holds all the flour and spices.  I'm getting worried I won't be able to mix the wet and dry ingredients properly.

A close-up of the design used for the gingerbread houses.  The pattern is taken from the cookbook "Joy of Cooking."

Emily is still working studiously on her house design.

Ivan would like to work on his own creation now.  He has decided to create a Formula 1 race car.

This bowl holds the butter and sugar better (whew).

all creamed together...


all of these eggs will go in the mix....

working with molasses can be messy....

getting closer to the end product....

the trick is having a big enough bowl, but somehow I manage it by using two bowls....

the finished dough...I will roll it out in a couple of hours.

It is time to roll out the dough and make the house pieces.

Thankfully, I can put the pieces right onto the rack of the oven.  I've lined it with a couple layers of aluminum foil and a couple layers of parchment paper.  Being able to bake this many pieces at one time really helps speed-up the process.

Here is the table ready for the gingerbread architects.  By the way, this is two days later.

This is me.  This is pretty much where I was for 2 days.  Don't worry, I enjoy doing this, but I was pretty smacked by the end.

Here are the architects "building" their "dream" houses.

There are a few left-over houses.  Maybe we will put them together another day.

Ivan has finished his gingerbread race car...along with a Christmas tree.

Ivan's Formula 1...I thought he envisioned this pattern very well.  When I saw him cutting and baking all the little pieces it just didn't seem possible, but here it is.  Good job, Ivan!

A friend built this house.  It has a sad ending.  At least I got a picture of it before it turned into....


Candy Mountain!!




Have a look at these creative houses!!!

This is Ivan's friend's house.  He likes the "modest" look.

Such great creations!


Emily's house turned out amazing.  It has a porch and I especially love how she did the windows.  It really needs a side-shot.  I'll have to include that so you can see it.
To end the fun afternoon of candy consumption, architectural design, and animated conversation...there was buttered popcorn, hot chocolate and a movie: The Grinch.  One Christmas tradition thoroughly enjoyed by all....including me.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love Germany and it's protection of those crazy chemicals! I would love a copy of the recipe you use for gingerbread and the "glue" that holds it all together.

    ReplyDelete